10/7/14

The Daily Buzz For Oct 8



Viola Davis Reveals Alopecia Trauma & Wearing Wigs To Feel Beautiful IN NY Mag Article
ABC’s new hit series “How To Get Away With Murder” is slowly becoming the new “IT” show during ShondaLand’s Thursday nights. It brought in 11.8 million views for it’s second episode, making it the most-watched program during primetime outside of Thursday Night Football.

49-year-old lead star Viola Davis brings the seriousness and suspense to the legal drama series. But outside of the show, there has been much talk about this New York Times article written by Alessandra Stanley, which called the Oscar-nominated actress “less classically beautiful.” She has since responded to that nonsense, saying she won’t stand for the disrespect, and now she’s weighing in on the writer calling executive producer Shonda Rhimes “an angry black woman.”

In an interview with New York Mag, Viola talked about being tired of people using such negative adjectives to describe black women. She also talked about being compared to “Scandal" star Kerry Washington and whether she watches herself on tv. Here are the highlights.

On NY Times critic Alessandra Stanley’s “angry black woman” article:
Davis says she finds the term “angry” as a descriptor for African-American women to be “very offensive, as is ‘sassy,’ as is ‘soulful.’ We’ve used them enough. It’s time to bury them in the racial-history graveyard,” she says, chuckling. “My feeling about the article is it’s a reflection of how we view women of color, what adjectives we use to describe them—as scary, as angry, as unattractive. I think that people are tired of it.”

On being compared to Kerry Washington:
“There is no one who would compare Glenn Close to Julianna Margulies, Zooey Deschanel to Lena Dunham. They just wouldn’t. They do that with me and Kerry because we’re both African-Americans and we’re both in Shonda Rhimes shows.”

On being in the public eye:
“I see responsibility when I see those posters,” she says. “I see pressure. I’m aware that my booty is on the line.”

On whether she watches herself on TV:
“I cannot imagine having people over for, like, cocktails and food and sitting down to watch myself. I am not that ego-driven, No. 1. No. 2, I’m sure I’ll be working that night.”

The fab actress also did an interview with Vulture magazine where she dished on the “angry black woman” comment, described how she sees Shonda Rhimes and how black women are described in the media.

On Alessandra Stanley’s “angry black woman” quote:
"Shonda is not an 'angry black woman.' I don't think that Annalise is just an 'angry black woman.' There is a depth to Shonda that can't be minimized by using just the word angry, and we use that too often to describe women of color because we don't want to look any deeper. I see Shonda as quirky, I see her as intelligent, I see her as beautiful, I see her as feminine, I see her as a businesswoman in the juggernaut of television and a mother of three children, and a woman living in 2014. I wouldn't reduce her to 'angry black woman.' Or her characters, for that matter."

On describing black women in media:
"We need to use the same adjectives as we use for any woman. Which could be dangerous, too, but I'll accept that. Any day."

Also in the interview, she opened up about losing all of her hair, suffering from Alopecia areata, and how she would wear a wig everywhere...literally. Check this excerpt:

When Davis was 28, she lost half her hair to alopecia areata. "I woke up one day and it looked like I had a Mohawk. Big splash of bald on the top of my head," she says. "I was like, What is this? Until I found out it was stress related. That's how I internalized it. I don't do that anymore. My favorite saying in the world is, 'The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.' I am telling you, I have spent so much of my life not feeling comfortable in my skin. I am just so not there anymore."

After that alopecia, she wore a wig everywhere. "I wore a wig in the Jacuzzi. I had a wig I wore around the house. I had a wig that I wore to events. I had a wig that I wore when I worked out. I never showed my natural hair. It was a crutch, not an enhancement … I was so desperate for people to think that I was beautiful. I had to be liberated from that [feeling] to a certain extent." So at the 2012 Oscars, she exposed her "natural hair." She still has her wigs; she wears them on Murder, she wears them to photo shoots, she wears them when she doesn't have time to pick out her hair and get rid of her grays, but she no longer wears them in her everyday life. What matters, she says, is that "it's an option … when it used to never be an option. I had something to hide."

Well good for her! Get the full piece at NY Mag!


YESSSSS! She did That! Tamar Braxton’s “Let Me Know” Ft. Future
Since coming off her Love & War tour and as she prepares for the release of her next studio ablum, Tamar Braxton and her snatched bod just released new music for her Tamaritians.

On her new track “Let Me Know” featuring Future, “The Real” co-host sings about the ups-and-downs in a relationship and being loyal to her man over a sample of Aaliyah’s classic hit “At Your Best”.

Check it HERE!...Thoughts?

Report Links Adrian Peterson’s Charity to Orgy
This dude Adrian is doing the most right now, and it seem like the Minnesota StarTribune is trying to link his Charity to Orgy….
According to the startribune found out he used a credit card connected to his charity for pleasure rather than business and apparently one of his relatives was along for the ride:

One of those present, Chris Brown, a Peterson relative who lives with him in Eden Prairie, told police that he paid for the room using a company credit card for Peterson’s All Day, Inc.
As the night wore on, the report says, one woman who said she knew Peterson previously became upset when she saw him having sex with another woman. She started an argument that lasted at least an hour. According to the report, when she told him that she was “emotionally attached to him,” Peterson reminded her that he was engaged to another woman and had a baby.
The next day one of the women filed a police complaint that was investigated for months. Peterson insisted on his innocence and, at one point, arrived to provide evidence at police headquarters through a back door, his face shrouded by the hood of his sweatshirt.
A rape accusation that surfaced from the incident was reported to be unfounded.
The lengthy Star-Tribune article outlines a number of details within Peterson’s personal life, including his children:
He has fathered six children by six women, and the children live in at least three states — Minnesota, Georgia and Texas — according to court records reviewed by the Star Tribune, and according to sources familiar with his family. He met one of those children, a son, shortly before the boy died last year in South Dakota after being beaten by another man.


Look Who’s Back Jagged Edge! Listening event for multi-platinum selling group Jagged Edge
Jagged Edge held a private listening party at the Microsoft store in Perimeter mall for new album titled  JE Heartbreak II. 
So So Def was definitely in the building. Attendies were Bobby Valentino, Mishon, Dondria, Bryan Michael Cox, DJ Smallz and Michael Mauldin. JE took the fans through the soothing sounds of each song in the album. Check out the photos from the event !
Be on the look out for this project SOON! Welcome Back JE!


Hazel E & Yung Berg Shade Each Other On Instagram 
Hazel E and Yung Berg had a mini-battle on Instagram and it got pretty dirty, pretty fast. Hazel posted a nude photo of Berg standing in front of a mirror with his man meat fully exposed.
She wrote next to the semi-nude flick, “It’s funny how I wake up & this n*gga on my D*cc! #FunSize #LHHH @hitmaka #lilbutterfingers.”
Being that Hazel tagged Berg, and therefore wanted to get his attention, he responded with a now-deleted pic of her juxtaposed next to photos of that ’90s movie character Ernest (never forget). He also wrote something about the d*ck pick being photoshopped and putting his peen in just about every “hole” in her body. Thanks for the visual homie.
Check their Instagram foolery
Then Black Twitter had their way too!
Anyway, whatever happened between these two—that we haven’t already seen on camera—must have been bad. On the latest Love & Hip Hop Hollywood episode Berg plainly told Hazel that he wasn’t looking to settle down with her or any other woman. She didn’t take it well, and it looks like there’s still some leftover animosity between these two.


Lance Gross & Rebecca Jefferson Celebrate Baby Shower
Lance Gross and his fiancée Rebecca Jefferson celebrated the impending arrival of their bundle of joy with a baby shower over the weekend, which also brought the news that they’re expecting a girl.

The former House of Payne star shared a couple of cute photos from the event decorated with pink balloons, a custom board that read “Lance & Becca’s Baby Girl” – and there were tons of gifts received.
“Today was dope,” wrote Lance. “Thank you to our incredible friends & family for throwing us such a beautiful baby shower.”


Wendy Williams to Host Soul Train Awards in Nov. 
*Wendy Williams revealed on her talk show that she will host the 2014 Soul Train Awards in November.
Don Cornelius’s son Tony Cornelius and Dionne Warwick were on hand at “Wendy” to make the announcement.
“My dad always thought highly of you. He always thought you were aggressive and you could make it happen. And now you’ve become this big media personality,” Tony told Wendy.
The awards show, to be held on Nov. 7 at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, promises to “engage fans with unforgettable performances, iconic tributes and special appearances by today’s leading musicians.”

Williams’ role comes just one year after her successful run as the host of the 2013 red carpet show, according to the press release.
“No stranger to entertaining, Williams brings her signature charm and quick wit,” Centric said.
This will be Williams’ first time hosting an awards show. Calling her the “queen of daytime talk,” Centric assured that this year’s show will be “one for the books.”

The talk show host expressed her absolute excitement on Monday:
“As a longtime lover of R&B and Hip Hop, I am beyond excited to host this year’s Soul Train Awards on Centric,” she said. “It is an honor to be a part of the biggest night in music and highlight the achievements of both legends and rising talent.”

She added: “Vegas, how you doin’?”


Thoughts? Wiz Khalifa’s new hair color?
This is a bit drastic for a male rapper to color his hair purple and I hope this does not start a trend as the skinny jeans in the urban culture! But whats your thoughts on Wiz Khalifa’s purple hair color?
UGH!


Erykah Badu & Riccardo Tisci Cuddle Up For ‘PAPER’
Erykah Badu (real name Erica Abi Wright) and Givenchy Creative Director Riccardo Tisci are cuddling up, sharing the fashion spotlight for PAPER’s October 2014 issue. Both have their own love fest, sharing how they met and why they have such an authentic friendship.

Erykah says of meeting Riccardo:
"Last year, Riccardo reached out and let me know that he was a fan of my music. At the same time, I let him know that I was a fan of his eye. We were talking and he asked me to be the face of his campaign for [Spring] 2014, which was culturally themed and all of the models in the campaign were of color. He thought that the line would particularly speak through me. I said, “OK!” It was the first time I had done anything like that, besides the Tom Ford perfume ad."
Riccardo says of meeting Erykah:
"The first time we met was at one of her concerts in New York a few years back. But the first time we actually connected was when she arrived to the set of the campaign. I was so nervous — it is rare to spend time with one of your idols, and she is truly one of my ultimate ones. She was nothing short of what I had in mind. She arrived with the most outrageous hair (a solo braid long to the floor) and an amazing hat. She was the exact definition of style according to me. We clicked immediately. We hugged and talked for so long, about everything and anything. And we share so much more than aesthetics… I love her."
He adds:
On the campaign set, she started styling the looks she was supposed to wear and I was amazed. The effortlessness was striking. Everything she put together worked perfect and screamed Givenchy. She came with her own personal stuff in case we were to need it, and I discovered that she owned many pieces that I designed. That’s when I realized we shared the same taste.

Erykah says that both Rihanna and Naomi Campbell both excite her about fashion:
"I love watching Rihanna in fashion. I like to see her take chances and risks. I like seeing Naomi Campbell in the forefront. They’re bold women who stand out and use their bodies as canvases to introduce this functional art to the world. They carry it in a way that is very inspiring."
Badu also adds what moves her — creatively and business-wise.
"Well, music has never been lucrative to me. I think my image is more popular than my album sales. The stage is where I shine and pay my bills. But art is art to me. There’s nothing new about cross-pollination in art to me because it’s all one thing: an expression of who I am. I’ve always directed all of my videos and been in total control of my image. I write all of the lyrics, stage and produce all of the shows. It’s something that comes very naturally to me. It’s therapy. It makes me feel awesome, happy, centered and balanced when I can turn out some piece of art — whether the world sees it or not. It’s what keeps me going and breathing."

Cute!


Cynthia Bailey and Kenya Moore Spotted At Cirque du Soleil Amaluna
Cirque du Soleil: Amaluna’s is in Atlanta Its such an amazing show. Its The beautiful tale takes place on an island where you will meet some pretty interesting characters!

Cirque du Soleil is so popular because of the various acrobatic stunts that are shown throughout the show! Some of the main acrobats were the Amazons. Watching these women do tricky maneuvers with precision and ease was extremely fascinating. Not to mention every time they would do, they would scream out warrior calls, which would really keep your attention. There was another act on this show, which caused everyone to sit on the edge of their seats! It was strange because what seemed like the simplest stunt turned into a nail biting experience.!
A big event like this was surely going to bring out some of Atlanta’s hottest stars! Cynthia Bailey and Kenya Moore of “The Real Housewives of Atlanta!” Bailey had brought her daughter and her castmate Moore. These two have gotten extremely close recently, which will see throughout the seventh season.

Moore will be traveling to Los Angeles to work on a major project out there. And Bailey is preparing to open up the second Bar One in Atlanta; They both kept implying that big things are in the works and everyone needs to be ready.
Cirque du Soleil will be in Atlanta until November 30th. You can buy your tickets online at www.cirquedusoleil.com


Kimora Lee Simmons Pregnant With Fourth Child
A congratulations is in order for the Fabulous Kimora Lee Simmons and her banker husbandTim Leissner, she is expecting her fourth child.
According to Page Six.com
that the model-turned-fashion designer, 39, is four months pregnant with her first child with her husband, banker Tim Leissner.
The two were spotted celebrating Saturday night over dinner at Gallaghers Steakhouse in Midtown.
Simmons has two daughters, Ming, 14, and Aoki, 12, with ex-husband Russell Simmons, and a son, Kenzo, 5, with actor Djimon Hounsou.

Kimora is really A professional.
Congrats on your billionaire baby and that’s no shade. For all the chicks bout that life, Kimora is showing yall how to play the game.


BET’s “THE GAME” Is Ending After Season 9
Mara Brock Akil’s “The Game” is coming to an end soon,  BET.com recently announced that “The Game” will be ending after season 9,  and they are currently filming seasons 8 and 9 now, which will begin airing in early 2015.

BET said in a statement that:
“All good things must come to an end and after celebrating four successful seasons of THE GAME on BET, the Network has announced production is underway on the show’s final two seasons. In January 2011 the cult following of The Game proved that the show was a fan favorite with 7.7 million viewers for its premiere debut on BET. With seasons eight and nine, we’re excited to end on a high note by giving Sabers fans a chance to bid farewell to their favorite players on and off the field.”



AND FINALLY FROM “THE CRAZY PEOPLE SHOPPING AT WALMART” FILES
‘First Or Last?’
Some consider crazy looking hair an art form. I consider it a shitty way to grab attention. Either way, these two now have our attention in this “Who Wears It Better?” Some of you may think he crossed the finish line first but I’m leaning towards my girl who managed to match her outfit to her hair almost to the point that I just thought she had on a hood. Impressive.


HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL!!!
EFREM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers