4/29/13

NBA Player Jason Collins "YES I AM A BLACK GAY MAN"!




NBA Player Jason Collins Comes Out to the WORLD!
It’s finally happened. NBA player Jason Collins has become the first openly gay athlete from a major American team sport. The 34-year-old  Washington Wizards center writes candidly about his sexual orientation  in the May 6 issue of Sports Illustrated.

“I wish I wasn’t the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, ‘I’m different,’” he said. “If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I’m raising my hand.”

He writes that the tragic Boston bombings convinced him to come out now. “Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully?”

Collins writes about the impact his coming out is likely to have:
“I go against the gay stereotype, which is why I think a lot of players will be shocked: That guy is gay? But I’ve always been an aggressive player, even in high school. Am I so physical to prove that being gay doesn’t make you soft? Who knows? That’s something for a psychologist to unravel. My motivations, like my contributions, don’t show up in box scores, and frankly I don’t care about stats. Winning is what counts. I want to be evaluated as a team player.”
In the essay, he also addresses how straight allies in the pro sports world made his decision easier.
I’m glad I’m coming out in 2013 rather than 2003. The climate has shifted; public opinion has shifted. And yet we still have so much farther to go. Everyone is terrified of the unknown, but most of us don’t want to return to a time when minorities were openly discriminated against. I’m impressed with the straight pro athletes who have spoken up so far — Chris Kluwe, Brendon Ayanbadejo. The more people who speak out, the better, gay or straight. It starts with President Obama’s mentioning the 1969 Stonewall riots, which launched the gay rights movement, during his second inaugural address. And it extends to the grade-school teacher who encourages her students to accept the things that make us different.
Believe it or not, my family has had bigger shocks. Strange as it seems today, my parents expected only one child in 1978. Me. When I came out (for the first time) the doctors congratulated my mother on her healthy, seven-pound, one-ounce baby boy. "Wait!" said a nurse. "Here comes another one!" The other one, who arrived eight minutes later and three ounces heavier, was Jarron. He's followed me ever since, to Stanford and to the NBA, and as the ever-so-slightly older brother I've looked out for him.
I had a happy childhood in the suburbs of L.A. My parents instilled in us an appreciation of history, art and, most important, Motown. Jarron and I weren't allowed to listen to rap until we were 12. After our birthday I dashed to Target and bought DJ Quik's album Quik Is the Name. I memorized every line. It was around this time that I began noticing subtle differences between Jarron and me. Our twinness was no longer synchronized. I couldn't identify with his attraction to girls.
I feel blessed that I recognized my own attractions. Though I resisted my impulses through high school, I knew that when I was ready I had someone to turn to: my uncle Mark in New York. I knew we could talk without judgment, and we did last summer. Uncle Mark is gay. He and his partner have been in a stable relationship forever. For a confused young boy, I can think of no better role model of love and compassion.
I didn't come out to my brother until last summer. His reaction to my breakfast revelation was radically different from Aunt Teri's. He was downright astounded. He never suspected. So much for twin telepathy. But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me.

Nike showed similar support of Collins' decision to come out.
"Jason (Collins) is a Nike athlete. We are a company committed to diversity and inclusion," the statement read.

HRC Praises Jason Collins
"Jason Collins’ commitment to living openly is a monumental step forward toward greater equality and he immediately becomes a role model for youth all across this country. His actions today tell LGBT young people that what will define our success in life is our character and dedication, not our sexual orientation. At a moment when millions are reflecting on the life and legacy of Jackie Robinson, Jason Collins is a hero for our own times. Today's announcement again shows that gay Americans are our teachers, police officers, nurses, lawyers and even our professional athletes. We contribute to every aspect of our American community and deserve the same equal rights as every American." - Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin, via press release.

And his Twin Brother says I've Never Been More Proud Of Him
"I won't lie. I had no idea. We talked, he answered my questions, I hugged him and I digested what he had told me. At the end of the day, this is what matters: He's my brother, he's a great guy, and I want him to be happy. I'll love him and I'll support him and, if necessary, I'll protect him.

"What does Jason want out of this? He wants to live his life. He wants a relationship, he wants a family, he wants to settle down. He wants to move forward with his personal life while maintaining his life as a professional basketball player. That's all, really.

"This announcement will be surprising to some people. I already anticipate the questions: 'Are you the gay twin or the straight one?' This is uncharted territory, and no one can predict how it will play out. It's a big deal -- but it's also not a big deal. When the media crush is over, Jason will have the strength to deal with whatever challenges come from being openly gay. Today, Jason has taken a huge weight off his shoulders. And I've never been more proud of him." - Jarron Collins, who was drafted by the NBA in 2001 with his brother, speaking to Sports Illustrated.

his peers, fans and straight allies began offering their admiration. Read some of the congratulatory tweets below















Jason Congrats! 
and WELCOME TO THE REST OF YOUR WONDERFUL LIFE!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, @jasoncollins34!! I truly respect your efforts and courage to do what you did and as well as respect your talents. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, @jasoncollins34!! I truly respect your efforts and courage to do what you did and as well as respect your talents. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While he is to be commended, he is not the first and we should recognize such.
    "Several male athletes have previously come out after they retired, including the NBA's John Amaechi, the NFL's Esera Tuaolo and Major League Baseball's Billy Bean. But Collins is the first to do so while planning to continue playing" if this doesn't sideline his free agency into retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. U are a beautiful guy live ur life and let no one still ur joy

    ReplyDelete

Followers