2/24/16

Gospel Artist Israel Houghton reveals DIVORCE from wife, Accepts Blame!


Israel Houghton reveals divorce from wife, accepts blame: ‘I failed and sinned in my marriage’
Multi-Grammy®, Stellar and Dove Award winning artist, songwriter and producer, Israel Houghton has announced his divorce from his wife Meleasa Houghton after more than 20 years of marriage.
Though the worship leader did not give specific reasons for the split, in a Feb. 22 Facebook post, he acknowledged it was due to his own failure.
 “It is with a collective heavy heart that we announce that after over 20 years of marriage and a long separation, Meleasa and I are officially divorced,” the 44-year-old “Friend of God” singer wrote on Instagram—finally going public with marital issues he and his wife have been dealing with privately for quite some time.
“Several years ago I failed and sinned in my marriage. Though this is new to many, it is not new to us as we have been working through this for over 5 years. Although we tried, the challenges in our relationship have proven too much to overcome,” the worship leader at Joel Osteen’s Lakewood church explained.

According to Houghton, who won the Best Gospel Album Grammy® last week for his album, Israel Houghton & NewBreed - Covered: Alive in Asia, he is now working to get his life back on track after his marriage-ending indiscretion.
“We have always handled our family and ministry with grace and generosity toward others, discretion, and privacy. So, for the sake of our amazing kids, we are also handling this privately with pastoral oversight and assistance,” he said.

The former couple that met in Pittsburgh during one of Houghton’s ministry engagements, fell in love instantly and wed after only four months. Together, they co-wrote songs, built a successful music ministry and became proud parents of Mariah, Israel and Milan lillie'.
Despite being unable to repair the damage to their union, Houghton says he and Maleasa continue to be loving toward one another.
“We choose to remain friendly and kind to each other going forward. I am in the process of restoration and I have repented for my actions. Although I am sincerely sorry, and forgiven, I soberly realize that I will live with the consequences of my failings for the rest of my life,” he said.

The news has obviously shocked the prolific ministry leader’s scores of fans around the world. His post disclosing the divorce, which, at the time of writing has nearly 20,000 likes and almost 5,000 shares, has been met with a mix of reactions from encouragement, judgment, compassion and even feelings of grief.
“This is a grievous sin against the Body of Christ,” wrote one Facebook commenter named Sunny. “And it will give a sad witness to the world. Like David's sin, yes, it's forgiven, and there is restoration, but look at the effect his sin with Bathsheba had on his family for a long time. I am so grieved over this.”
Another fan named Ansheika wrote, “Thank you for being open and honest. You're still loved by many. Praying for you Israel and your family.”

Houghton, who realizes his moral failure will deeply impact those who believe in and follow his ministry, is apologizing for his moral failure.
“As this has become a public matter I want to apologize to the many who have supported my ministry through the years. I'm sorry for the many who will be hurt to learn of my personal failure,” he said.
Houghton ended the message by expressing regret and requesting privacy.

“I regret any pain or disappointment that this news may cause you. We thank you for your prayers and for allowing us to handle this privately with those who are set over us in this process," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers